These are my notes from B1G Fridays Crossfits: Pursuing Purity
Are you pure?
Due to the modern society and technology, our minds are under constant assault today. Back then, society was censored and people don’t have access to:
- Bad language
- Provocative language
- Erotic books
- Bold magazine and pictures
- Explicit videos
- Filthy television shows
- The internet
These are lies that are extremely dangerous to your well being:
- Human beings are basically good
- Casual sex is harmless and recreational
- Sex is the most important component in a relationship
- Only intercourse counts
- Alternative lifestyles are biological and normal
God has NOT changed. His views on sexuality have not changed.
“Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” 1 Corinthians? ?6:9-11? ?NIV??
Habitual, unbroken patterns of sin is a characteristic of the unregenerate.
9 Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life[a] is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God. 10 So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does not live righteously and does not love other believers[b] does not belong to God. 1 John 3:9-10
How relevant can the bible be?
- Immorality was far worse then
- Cities were vile and perverse places to live
- Sex slaves are everywhere
18 Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body. 19 Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20
Committing sins will bring you harm on every level: physically, emotionally, and spiritually
Why Pursue Purity?
A. God’s Will
- God demands total separation
- God demands total abstinence
- How far can I go?
- How close can I get?
- How far away can I run?
FLEE before you fall!
3 God’s will is for you to be holy, so stay away from all sexual sin. 1 Thessalonians 4:3
B. God’s Warning
- Get control before it’s too late and your sins find you out.
- Protect yourself before you destroy Your life. Your family. Your church family. Your testimony. Your testimony with God.
- Protect your body
FLEE before you lose control.
4 Then each of you will control his own body[a] and live in holiness and honor— 1 Thessalonians 4:4
Guard your mind
The desire is not wrong; it will be wrong once you gratify it in an ungodly way
Downward Spiral of Sin
- Desire: emotions = feelings, longings
- Deception: mind = rationalize, justify, and fantasize
- Disobedience: Will = you sin? Disobeying God
FLEE before your thoughts become actions.
5 not in lustful passion like the pagans who do not know God and his ways. 1 Thessalonians 4:5
Train your Will
- In all areas of your life. No exceptions!
- Do not take someone else’s purity
- Do not take someone else’s partner
FLEE before God takes action!
Sooner or later, God will intervene and He will discipline you. He doesn’t want His children to sin.
6 Never harm or cheat a fellow believer in this matter by violating his wife,[a] for the Lord avenges all such sins, as we have solemnly warned you before. 1 Thessalonians 4:6
Train your conscience
- Product of how you were brought up
- Product of how you were exposed to the world
- It cannot function properly if it is not trained
- The same sun that melts the wax, hardens the clay
FLEE before you lose all sensitivity to sin!
7 God has called us to live holy lives, not impure lives. 1 Thessalonians 4:7
C. God’s Way
- Do you love the Lord Jesus Christ more than you love your sin?
- We are called to be Holy
FLEE and prove you really love Him!
8 Therefore, anyone who refuses to live by these rules is not disobeying human teaching but is rejecting God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you. 1 Thessalonians 4:8