These are my notes from B1G Fridays #RelationshipGoals: Handle with Care
Influence the Family for God’s Glory. HOW?
A. Honor your Father and Mother
- honor: high respect; great esteem; great obedience
- 6 Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord,[a] for this is the right thing to do. 2 “Honor your father and mother.” This is the first commandment with a promise: 3 If you honor your father and mother, “things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.”[b] Ephesians 6:1-3 NLT
- 12 “Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12 NLT
- Fifth Commandment
- 27 The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”[a] Luke 10:27 NLT
- Love God first before you can love others
- 6 “These are the commands, decrees, and regulations that the Lord your God commanded me to teach you. You must obey them in the land you are about to enter and occupy, 2 and you and your children and grandchildren must fear the Lord your God as long as you live. If you obey all his decrees and commands, you will enjoy a long life. 3 Listen closely, Israel, and be careful to obey. Then all will go well with you, and you will have many children in the land flowing with milk and honey, just as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, promised you. 4 “Listen, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.[a] 5 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. 6 And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. 7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. 8 Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:1-9 NLT
B. Be a good model of Christlikeness
- 1 And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ. 1 Corinthians 11:1 NLT
- Values are caught, not taught.
- 12 Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. 1 Timothy 4:12 NLT
C. Build Relationships
- LOVE is spelled: TIME
- The more time you spend with your family, the more you influence them.
- How to Pray? ACTS – Adore (worship Him, attributes that make Him the Lord), Confess (your sins), Thank Him (for everything) and Supplication (pray for your needs)
- Learn your family’s love language
D. Connect them to God
- How to introduce them to Jesus? PRAY. CARE. SHARE.
3 And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth. John 17:3 NLT